Saturday, October 13, 2012

New year in the Netherlands

My friend is pondering over coming to Amsterdam for New Year’s Eve. I just received a question of how the Dutch people celebrate New Year’s Eve. While my experiences of the Dutch New Year are limited to one, I came up with two main ingredients and the Dutch guy added the third

  1. Oliebollen. Lots of oliebollen, with or without raisins.
  2. Fireworks. With a healthy disregard of any safety instructions. It’s completely OK to set fireworks on your small street and then take few steps back.
  3. Going to a bar before/just around New Year and kiss everyone there. And pay a lot of money for the ticket.

The theory is now there, I will spend my next New Year’s Eve gathering empirical evidence for these hypotheses.

No comments:

Post a Comment